1946 – 1954

Soviet uniforms of the early Cold War period were based on those developed under the 1943 regulations, which returned a distinctly Imperial Russian look to the Red Army and Navy.

Although minor changes were implemented in the years following the war, Soviet officer uniforms remained virtually the same from 1945 until the 1955 regulations were promulgated, while enlisted uniforms stayed about the same all the way up to 1970.

Indeed, the average Red Army soldier of 1954 was virtually indistinguishable from his 1945 counterpart. The only changes of significance during this period was the introduction of specialized parade and service uniforms for armor and air force officers, and open-necked jackets with tie for Naval officers. Although wear of these new uniforms was limited during this period, they provided much of the basis for the 1955 regulations.

Visor caps of this period were also very similar to those of 1944-45. The square billed (or spade-shaped in Russian terminology) visors typifying Soviet caps of the war (round visors existed during WWII, but in smaller numbers) were falling out of favor towards the end of the period, and were “officially” gone by 1954 – although some old stocks apparently continued to be used until around 1958.

Cockades worn on these caps remained basically the same as during the war years, with most officers and enlisted men wearing the famous red star on both their service and parade caps. The red star cap badge was simplified in form, however, with the same one-piece style now used by all personnel (except generals). All visor caps had a black oilcloth chinstrap, except for gold or silver cords worn by generals and admirals. The basic shape of the cap retained the “teller” or plate style (as described by the Germans), with a crown only slightly larger in circumference than the band.